[Openvpn-users] Error connecting to \\server\share

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Error connecting to \\server\share
  • From: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:09:47 -0800

Greetings -

I encountered a problem this week connecting a remote XP client to our Linux
Samba Server via OpenVPN.  I was finally able to resolve the problem, but
did not find a discussion of the problem or solution anywhere on the
internet.  So I thought it would benefit others to post the problem and
solution here.  Considering the cause of the problem I would think it would
be a headache for others.  Although the problem is not directly an OpenVPN
problem, it only occurs when trying to establish a remote connection using
OpenVPN, so others may look to resolve this problem through this forum.

Problem Description :
A remote Windows XP client (using OpenVPN 2.0.9) connecting to a Linux Samba
Server (also using OpenVPN 2.0.9) establishes a tunnel.  No errors are
present in the OpenVPN logs on the server, and the client logs show that
Initialization Sequence Completed.  However when the user tries to connect
to a share on the server they get the following error message.

An error occurred while reconnecting to W: to \\remonteservername\share
Microsoft Windows Network : The network path was not found.
This connection has not been restored.

Cause of Problem :
Even before looking at the OpenVPN log files I suspected that the origin of
this problem was with the Window client.  The user mentioned that they had
recently conducted a Windows Update on their XP box and this had been the
first try at establishing a remote connection after that update.  After much
detective work, the problem was identified as a missing "hosts" file
(C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) on the XP box.  Apparently one of
the Window Updates replaced this file, and host entries that were in the
original file were not preserved in the new one.

Solution :
Recreating the proper entries in the hosts file, then rebooting and
remapping the XP client to the remote server share solved the problem.  In
our situation the entries that were lost in the host file were:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.112.1 remoteservername

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com