Re: [Openvpn-users] Migrate to comp-lzo

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Migrate to comp-lzo
  • From: Jan Just Keijser <janjust@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:54:38 +0100

Hi Fridtjof,

AFAIK there is no other way then to restart all clients; comp-lzo is a
connection negotiation parameter, pretty much like 'remote', 'port',
'tun-mtu' etc ; thus, the server cannot push any client config
statements before 'comp-lzo' is processed by both sides.
I'd say it should definitely be on a wish-list to change this but I am
not sure how difficult this would be: it would require a change in the
connection negotiation to determine whether one end is doing comp-lzo or
not and then adjust accordingly...

Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> I have a central server to with several systems connect. Neither the
> server nor the clients currently have a comp-lzo setting.
> Now I want migrate to comp-lzo (using ccd), but during testing I noticed
> that as soon as I put 'comp-lzo no' into the server-config, the clients
> cannot communicate any longer.
> Now I have a problem: As soon as I put comp-lzo into the server
> configuration and restart, the clients are unable to connect any
> longer if they don't change their config at the same time.
> Even when using a ccd-config ('comp-lzo no' and 'push "comp-lzo no"'), I
> have so far been unable to switch the server to comp-lzo without
> killing all the clients (which would be a really bad thing), it ends
> with an "tun packet too large on write" error on the client-side.
> Any way to smoothly migrate to comp-lzo?
> Server and clients are all OpenVPN 2.1_rc.

Openvpn-users mailing list