Re: [Openvpn-users] running on same port as NTP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] running on same port as NTP
  • From: "Rob MacGregor" <rob.macgregor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:56:39 +0000

On Nov 27, 2007 1:26 AM, Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you think there will be any conflict between the two daemons?

More importantly, is what you're doing above board - ie, will you get
fired if the network admins find out?

The answer however depends on what ntp software you're running.  The
ISC ntpd cannot be told (as far as I know) to listen only on
particular interfaces.  The OpenBSD varient OpenNTP I believe can be
(though personally I prefer the ISC version).

> If push comes to shove, I can probably run openvpnd on a TCP port, but I
> wouldn't do that if I definitely don't have to.

I've found that having OpenVPN listening on 443/TCP works through just
about any firewall/proxy server.

                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
OpenVPN mailing lists