[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Samba over Tun.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and Samba over Tun.
  • From: "Dave" <dmehler26@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 22:29:31 -0500

Hello,
 I'm trying to get OpenVPN working with samba. My goal is to have a remote
client for now though possibly expanding to more, initiate an openvpn
connection and be able to use samba shares as if it was on the local
network. The openvpn machine is on 192.168.0.4, samba server is 192.168.0.3,
and the openvpn hands out IP's in the 10.8.0.0/24 net as in the server
howto. The remote client in this example is on 192.168.2.0/24 network.
 I'm following http://openvpn.net/howto.html and have established a basic
tunnel with tls authentication. From the client machine on the
192.168.2.0/24 network I can ping 10.8.0.1, and 192.168.0.4 which is the
openvpn server so i have basic point to point connectivity. I'm now
expanding the scope of the connection to include other machines particularly
the samba server at 192.168.0.3. I added:
push "route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0"
on the serverside and restarted. I am confused about the next part of the
docs. Http://openvpn.net/howto.html#scope says:

"Next, you must set up a route on the server-side LAN gateway to route the
VPN client subnet (10.8.0.0/24) to the OpenVPN server (this is only
necessary
if the OpenVPN server and the LAN gateway are different machines).

Make sure that you've enabled
IP
and
TUN/TAP
forwarding on the OpenVPN server machine."

The Openvpn server and the lan gateway are not on the same machine, the lan
gateway is running FreeBSD the openvpn server is running Linux. If anyone
can clarify this point i'd appreciate it.
The final objective was to add the hosts allow directive to the smb.conf on
192.168.0.3, so i added hosts allow 10.8.0.0/24 to the existing hosts.
 Aside from the routing did i miss a step? As i said my goal connect up, and
access drives either by mapped drive letter, unc drive convention, or
network neighborhood. Is this doable?
Thanks.
Dave.