From: openvpn-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Matthias Teege
Sent: Sat 17-Nov-07 15:35
To: openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Openvpn-users] vpn tunnel slow in one direction

Hello,

I run openbsd 2.1rc4 under OpenBSD to make a VPN tunnel between two
locations. It works mostly  but the speed in one direction is significant
slower then in the opposite direction. I've used netcat to measure the
speed. The speed is equal in both directions if I don't use the openvpn tunnel.

Here my config files:

# server.conf
local 1.2.3.4
port 1194
proto udp
dev tun0
ca ca.crt
cert server.crt
key ssl/server.key
dh dh1024.pem
tls-server
server 4.5.0.0 255.255.255.0
push "route ..."
push "route ..."
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
user nobody
group nobody
chroot jail
client-config-dir ccd
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.15.47.11"
route ...
persist-key
persist-tun
verb 3
mute 20

# client.conf
dev tun0
proto udp
remote 1.2.3.4 1194
resolv-retry infinite
tls-client
pull
nobind
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key ssl/client.key
comp-lzo
verb 3
mute 50

A 3MB testfile takes ca. 15s from server to client but 90s from client
to server. I get the 15s in booth directions if I transfer the files
without openvpn.

What maybe the reason for this?

Many thanks
Matthias