Re: [Openvpn-users] traceroute through a VPN tunnel

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] traceroute through a VPN tunnel
  • From: "Prasanna Krishnamoorthy" <prasanna79@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 08:42:42 +0530

On Nov 7, 2007 12:52 AM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can traceroute using ICMP packets instead of UDP packets (traceroute
> -I ...) which works fine, but I should be able to use UDP packets for
> this through the VPN tunnel just as I can from points elsewhere on the
> Internet.

I've done plain traceroute and tracepath through multi-hop VPN
tunnels. So certainly there's no issue with openvpn. I would expect
that it's a routing issue, except for the fact that you're getting
back replies if you do traceroute -l.

So there may be something specific in your firewall config which
disallows replies to the UDP requests. You'll need to check your
OpenVPN mailing lists