[Openvpn-users] Vista fails to acquire IP address after OpenVPN disconnects

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Vista fails to acquire IP address after OpenVPN disconnects
  • From: "Ed Swierk" <eswierk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 07:26:55 -0800

I'm using OpenVPN GUI 1.0.3 and TAP-Win32 9.0.0.3 on Windows Vista
quite successfully on my laptop.

Whenever I disconnect the OpenVPN connection, however, the physical
Ethernet interface ends up no longer being able to acquire an IP
address via DHCP. Instead it sticks with a net 169.254.x.x address.

Restarting the DHCP Client service does not help, nor does removing
and re-inserting the Ethernet cable. Only after rebooting can I use
the Ethernet interface normally.

The System log in Event Viewer shows the following message when this
situation occurs:

"Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the
DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 001558848B12E.
The following error occurred: The object already exists.. Your
computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from
the network address (DHCP) server."

tcpdump shows that the server is sending a response to the DHCP
request, but Vista is ignoring it for some reason.

Any suggestions for how to debug this would be appreciated--it's
pretty annoying to have to reboot whenever I switch from the VPN to my
office LAN.