[Openvpn-users] ethernet bridge on single nic

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] ethernet bridge on single nic
  • From: "Ian Archer" <ian.archer.am.i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:50:16 -0400

I'm trying to get a bridging setup.

The server only has a single nic, and is on the 192.168.1/24 network.
The clients are within the same 192.168.1/24 (I'm doing VPN because
this is an open network).

>From what I understand, the server must bridge on a subnet which is
different from the client connection path.  In other words, the VPN
should not be 192.168.1/24.

It was suggested in a prior thread that a way around this was to give
the server a dummy interface with an address from a different subnet
and have clients connect to that in the 'remote <addr>' part of their
configuration.  I am really puzzled as to how to get clients to know
how to connect to this remote address.  In general, I hope this is the
correct way of going about an ethernet bridge solution when only using
a single NIC.