[Openvpn-users] Active Directory stuttering

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Active Directory stuttering
  • From: Gavin Hamill <gdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:16:01 +0000

Hi :)

We've been using OpenVPN (from 1.99beta to 2.0.x) very successfully with
Windows XP clients for a couple of years. Everyone was happy with the
clicky-clicky GUI and ability to browse network drives without any extra
work.

Then the company grew, laptops stopped getting admin rights, and Active
Directory came in with a proper file share system.

Since that's happened, OpenVPN has been causing us a great headache that
we've been unable to shift. I don't want to get involved at this early
stage by posting huge wads of tcpdump output or configs, but suffice to
say that connecting to network shares, or letting AD do it's
'Synchronisation' for roaming profiles is stuttery.

Saving a file might take 5 minutes because Windows is trying to contact
the server so it can populate the list of drives in 'My Computer'

I've used tcpdump to see that packets are traversing both directions
(from the AD server itself) and all seems well AFACIT.

I just wondered if anyone had similar experiences?

MS's own VPN solutions right now are IPSec and PPTP - both their own
nightmare with NAT/firewalls, so we'd like to stick with OpenVPN if we
can!

Cheers,
Gavin.