Re: [Openvpn-users] Troubleshooting OpenVPN client at inaccessible remote site

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Troubleshooting OpenVPN client at inaccessible remote site
  • From: Drew Gibson <drew@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:15:57 -0400

Erich Titl wrote:

Drew Gibson schrieb:
I have used OpenVPN for several years at home and in multiple commercial
installations without significant problems. Google searches produced
more pages of source code than real world issues.
Any pointers or assistance in narrowing down the actual issue would be

Just guessing

You stated that everything is the same with the exception of the new
location, hence the internet connection is different, so I would bet
this is where we have to look.

Looking at your logs I believe I can deduct that you are tunneling
through TCP. If this is the case I would suggest to try UDP... ah I see
you are using TCP from the config files :-). If you still have access to
the old type of line, please try to reactivate ssh to regain control
over the OpenVPN client. If security is foremost, I would suggest to
limit ssh access to a certain address or subnet, restrict it to rsa
authentication only and limit the number of tries per minute to
something small enough to fend of these awful dictionary attacks

Thanks Erich,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not able to access the client so cannot make changes there. SSH as turned off before we knew that the equipment would be moved. My biggest challenges are distance, timezone (12hr shift) and language.
Once I get back in, SSH will be turned back on with key access only!

Drew Gibson

Systems Administrator
OANDA Corporation