Re: [Openvpn-users] Configure TAP on bootup - debian

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Configure TAP on bootup - debian
  • From: "Tom Cook" <tom.k.cook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:39:30 +1030

I do this on a Debian system, but I don't have the TAP interface configured at startup.  Instead, I put this in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
        bridge_ports eth1

This starts the bridge interface automatically, with the static address (you can set it up for dhcp like any other interface), and with eth1 as part of the bridge.  Then in my openvpn config I have this:

up /etc/openvpn/bridge-config.sh

The bridge-config.sh script does this:

ifconfig $1 up
brctl addif br0 $1

This brings the new tap interface up (probably tap0 in most cases) then adds it to the bridge.  Openvpn seems to tear down the tap0 interface when the VPN session exits, so there is no need for a corresponding bridge-down.sh script.  This seems to be the Debian Way of doing things.

If you desperately want to run your bridge_start script instead of doing it the Debian Way, then you should:

cp bridge_start /etc/init.d
update-rc.d bridge_start defaults 15

But doing it the Debian Way will almost certainly save you pain during a future upgrade.