Re: [Openvpn-users] port-share with 2.6.21.5

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] port-share with 2.6.21.5
  • From: christian <openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:10:35 +0200

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 01:27:31PM -0400, Colin Ryan wrote:
[...]
> To me your description of what you are using it for is in all practical
> cases not different than mine.

ok.

> This sounds all right "remembering connections", and "reponses to right
> outbound connection", but in what I'm seeing it simply redirects the web
> client to the port-share targets, which ultimately must be directly
> accessible for public IP's and port forwardings/NAT etc.

no, unless the client can reach the target machine *directly*, in
which case not openvpn would do such a thing, but the tcp/ip stack
itself (tcpdump/wireshark would show you how).

good - let's see what i'm doing:

- my frontend - one external address - accepts incoming port 443.
- on my frontend, an openvpn server 2.1_rc4 is running with 'port-share'.
- the openvpn server accepts connection requests meant for him.
- the openvpn server proxies/passes on/ reroutes/whatever requests
  meant for my apache server to the *internal* address of my web server.

qv:

(BigBadInternet)
       ^

       V        (external ip, 443)
+---------------+
| frontend with |
| nat/routing   |
| &firewall     |
+---------------+
       ^        (internal ip, second interface)

       V        (internal ip, 443)
+---------------+
| backend with  |
| web server    |

the firewall rules on the frontend do not reflect an external
accessability other than '(tcp) external_ip:443'.

> Again, I don't have to have both applications running on 443 but I do
> wish to have to only have 1 external port available on 1 external IP
> address and have access to both the web and ovpn service.

that's exactly what i'm doing, i think... ;-)

btw: how do you test it?
not from the 'inside', i hope?