Re: [Openvpn-users] port-share with 2.6.21.5

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] port-share with 2.6.21.5
  • From: Colin Ryan <colinr@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:27:31 -0400

What I'm trying to do is to make two resources available OpenVPN and a
Secure Web Server accessible from the same single forwarding of port 443
through a firewall. Which seems to be what you are doing as well. It
would not matter if the two services were on separate machines or not,
the idea is that only 1 externally facing port and IP pairing is used.
To me your description of what you are using it for is in all practical
cases not different than mine.

> would work though, if the other server is an other server (or, i guess,
> another interface on the same sever where your application doesn't
> listen already [address binding...]).
> that's the way i'm using it here - it helps me to alleviate the
> scarcity of ip4 addresses; i accept an openvpn connection on my
> (externally visible) frontend (443) or pass it on to a backend
> (privateaddress:443).
>

>> In the spirit of your letter of the word interpretation of
>> the man page "proxy" to me means more that a redirect but.....

This sounds all right "remembering connections", and "reponses to right
outbound connection", but in what I'm seeing it simply redirects the web
client to the port-share targets, which ultimately must be directly
accessible for public IP's and port forwardings/NAT etc.
> i think you are right - it's no more than a passing on to the right
> target (and remembering both connections), and passing the target's
>
> at least that's the way i imagine it to work, more or less; having
> not read the code, i could be totally wrong, of course with my
> speculations.

Again, I don't have to have both applications running on 443 but I do
wish to have to only have 1 external port available on 1 external IP
address and have access to both the web and ovpn service.