Re: [Openvpn-users] Homepage seems outdated is this project still alive?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Homepage seems outdated is this project still alive?
  • From: Josh Cepek <josh.cepek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:16:43 -0500
  • Z-usanet-msgid: XID302LJZTqx0288X29

Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> Homepage seems outdated is this project still alive?
> Not that I use vista or even windows for that matter but I would like
> to see info about vista on openvpn's homepage. Like in the FAQ.

There is Vista-specific information in the changelog, both for the
stable 2.0.x branch and the 2.1 release candidate.  Both changelogs are
accessible via links on the left-side of the homepage.

> I'd also like to see a little more on the development status for any
> next release.
> Is there going to be any more releases?
> With the last news on the site dating back to October 2006 I'm curious
> if the project is still alive?

I'm not involved in any way with the project's development, so I can't
answer that one way or another.  However, the changelog for the 2.1
release candidate has an entry dated April 25, 2007, and references some
changes to make OpenVPN work on 64-bit Vista.

> It would be a shame sense this project is so well laid out. And I
> don't know of any others that would be able to take its place.
> Are there newer projects that spawned from openvpn? That work in both
> windows and linux?

I don't believe any projects have forked from OpenVPN's codebase, but I
can't say I've looked much at all in this regard.  I have made a nice
use of OpenVPN in mixed-platform environments specifically because the
code was written to be portable between the various supported platforms.

While I have found OpenVPN to be the best in multi-platform support,
Linux is able to connect to other popular VPN architectures including
Cisco VPN and Microsoft's PPTP & L2TP protocols.  However, things get
can ugly when you need to pass routing or other information between one
of these architectures and a Linux host because the protocols were not
written with a focus on platform neutrality.

> Am I looking at the wrong homepage (openvpn.net) ?

This is the correct project homepage.

There is also a CVS repository at sourceforge.net/projects/openvpn,
although from what I can tell it doesn't look like this is used for
current development since there haven't been any developer CVS commits
in a couple of years.  This means that development of the current
branch, the 2.1 release candidate, is occurring somewhere else.
Open-source developers are under no obligation to disclose source code
until a product version is released.  For more specifics you'd have to
get in touch with a developer of the project.