Re: [Openvpn-users] Strange VPN problem

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Strange VPN problem
  • From: "Alexandros Papadopoulos" <apapadop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:09:07 +0300

On 10/23/07, Barry Michels <bmichels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> > On 10/12/07, Barry Michels <bmichels@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I am having a strange problem with 2.0.9.  I have a routed VPN
> >> connection and can ping from/to any pc between networks.  I can even VNC
> >> into any machine.  But, RDP fails.  I have the MTU set to 1000 after
> >> finding a reference that indicated that may fix the problem.
> >>

> > I'd suspect MTU only if *established* RDP sessions are breaking.
> >
> > If you can't even get an RDP session to initialize, it must be
> > something else. Does RDP work from the local LAN? Is there a firewall
> > on the host you're contacting? Is the RDP service alive and accepting
> > connections? Etc etc.
> >
> > -A
> >
> I was having that problem originally and is why I lowered the MTU.  But,
> now I'm having the problem of not being able to connect at all to the
> RDP port.  As I said earlier, pinging and VNC work.  There is no
> firewall turned on.  And, I have full access from the local LAN and
> other VPN LAN's in this setup.  Just not between these 2 particular
> offices.  What's really strange is other ports working, but not RDP...

OpenVPN provides just a transport. If packets for other applications
are getting there, so should RDP's. Check that you can RDP from the
local LAN to the machine in question and (using a sniffer like
wireshark) that the packets are reaching the target machine. If
they're not, they're likely being discarded at the firewall.