[Openvpn-users] tcp and udp

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] tcp and udp
  • From: "Steffen Heil" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:43:38 +0200

Hi

As current versions of openvpn are multi-threaded, would it be hard to make
the server accept tcp AND udp at the same time?
I think it would be rather easy. (But not having looked at the code, only
having done similar things on other projects.)

For me the restriction to use only one is a showbreaker.
We would like to use udp in 99% of the time, being faster and more reliable.

However every now and then I need to connect through networks that don't
allow udp or even tunnel the connections through httptunnels or ssh port
forwardings. In this cases I can't do anything with udp, I need to use tcp.

Now, as openvpn can currently use only one of the protocols, I need to stick
to tcp, which I don't like 99%...

I also tried to run two instances of openvpn, one for tcp and udp each.
However I NEED to get the same IP independant of which way I connect and I
did not find a way to do that.

Any hint?

Regards,
  Steffen