Re: [Openvpn-users] Ethernet bridging on single NIC

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Ethernet bridging on single NIC
  • From: "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:02:20 -0700

Ian Archer wrote:
> I have spent a couple of days trying to set up this OpenVPN system as
> an ethernet bridge.  I've tried to set it up on a single server with a
> single NIC, although I'm starting to suspect that the bridging
> requires more than one NIC.
>
> In one attempt, I had the server distribute IP addresses within the
> same subnet that the NIC was on (e.g. 192.168.1.*).  My client could
> connect but getting the IP address would sever the path to the server.
>  I then tried giving the bridge an address on a new, non-existent
> subnet (e.g. 192.168.9.*) and distributing addresses on this net.
> Now, the client can connect to the server through the original route
> (192.168.1.*) but not through the new VPN (e.g. 192.168.9.*).
>
> I've attached my server and client confs

For the future, please trim your configs - we don't need to wade through
the default tutorial comments.

You don't mention OS or routing info.  I can tell you that unless you
have a very VERY good reason - using TCP is A Bad Idea.

Using 1 NIC with bridging works just fine.  For your initial setup - you
need to get the server running properly without working with the client
at all.  Remember that by bridging, you're joining your internal LAN to
the VPN.  So you're going to replace your (working already, I hope?!)
standard ethernet connection with your standard IP and replace it with
the bridged interface - configured with the same IP.  The result should
be your server functions identically whether connecting to your LAN
through the standard ethernet or the bridge.  Get that part working first.