Re: [Openvpn-users] How to route only SOME traffic through a PPTP VPN under XP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] How to route only SOME traffic through a PPTP VPN under XP
  • From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <leolistas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:23:59 -0300

    If you can list what you want to be routed through VPN, then iptables can match and advanced routing rules (iproute2) can route it.

    Certainly, tough, it wont be a trivial setup. But it's completly possible.

    I cant imagine how to get this advanced routing needs to work directly on Win2k/XP/Vista .... the linux box in front of the network is a great idea and will make this advances setups possible.

    Anyway ..... usually people uses VPNs for working on some remote site. I had some situations in which i had to through the default gateway over the VPN. When VPN was established, normal internet traffic wasnt allowed by my firewall on the other side. Surfing was allowed, email was allowed, all needed traffic for WORKING was allowed. And when people need to stop working and wanna some non-working internet traffic, just like your World of Warcraft example, or P2p or anything non-importante-else, they simply disconnect the VPN and there it goes, they have their normal internet access.

    I dont know your scenario, but maybe if you're thinking on setting a front-linux-box for 1-2 machines, maybe the approach of disconnecting the VPN and reconnecting again when needed is interesting as well. Not the smartest way, but certainly the cheapest and most simple way.

David Balazic escreveu:
[Openvpn-users] How to route only SOME traffic through a PPTP VPNunder XP
Im not an iptables expert, but I'm 99% sure that iptables in linux can do this.
So what you want is routing based on the port number, right ?
Routing based on IP address is not enough ? (because this is trivial to do)

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues
	Solutti Tecnologia

	My SPAMTRAP, do not email it