Re: [Openvpn-users] high ping to server low to lan

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] high ping to server low to lan
  • From: Derek Arnold <darnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:48:59 -0500

David Brohall wrote:
> Is it really possible to assign bridge0 an address?
> Shall tun0 also have an address? Shall it be the same as em0 or a new like
> 10.0.0.4? If it is a new, shall the server-bridge directive in server.conf
> point to em0 or the new address?

You can assign bridge0 an address, yes.  I generally set the same
address on both bridge0 and my real interface.  I might be wrong on
this, but the way I thought about it is that the bridged interfaces and
the bridge itself are all effectively the same interface, but the tap0
traffic is touching the bridge and then getting forwarded on to the rest
of the network.  If the bridge has an address, then it doesn't need to
be forwarded.  Since the interfaces are bridged it doesn't hurt anything
for them to have the same address.

You could also use an alternate IP address in the server-bridge
directive and assign that to the bridge, as well.  But for whatever
reason, that bugged me when I had it set up that way. :)