[Openvpn-users] How to route only SOME traffic through a PPTP VPN under XP

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] How to route only SOME traffic through a PPTP VPN under XP
  • From: "d spos" <disposable5819@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:55:20 -0400

Hi-- I know this is a little bit off topic, but I was looking around
the internet, asking around for  where the VPN experts hang out, and
was referred here.

I'm on XP SP2-- I have two different gateways for tcp/ip. The
"default" gateway which is a direct connection to the internet, and a
second gateway which is through a PPTP VPN. Since I have two different
connections to the internet, my computer has to decide which gateway
to use to send/receive traffic.

What I want is to map some ports to the direct connect gateway, but
other ports to the VPN. So, for example, at work we have sitelicenses
to various reference sites-- to access some websites, I have to go
through the VPN. So, port 80 should go through the VPN.

On the other hand, the VPN has high latency-- so when I want do
something that requires low latency, it needs to go through the direct
connection. So, to use a random example-- if I want to play World of
Warcraft, I want port 3724 traffic to go through the direct connect.

I've posted this question on a bazillion places, and haven't gotten
any response.  There _MUST_ a way to do this within XP.
Thoughts:

* Is there a way to make a proxy (like Privoxy) only direct its
traffic through one interface rather than another?
* Is there a way to make a interface only allow some ports?  If I
blocked 80 on the direct connect and blocked 3724 on the VPN and set
them both as default gateways, maybe that would get the job done?
*The program TOR, combined with Privoxy, does something very similar
to this.  You can have a browser, point it towards privoxy, and its
traffic will go through Tor instead of over a direct connect.   Maybe
if I figured out how Tor does it, I could figure out how to let a VPN
client do it.
* I _believe_ linux can do this.  Maybe I could buy a cheap linux box
or run a virtual one, and set THAT up to do the routing for me.