Re: [Openvpn-users] Maximizing NetBIOS Performance

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Maximizing NetBIOS Performance
  • From: Colin Ryan <colinr@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:58:37 -0400

Let's not forget tho' that none of these web based solutions provide
file and data locking of any form, so if someone is using a product that
uses file based database such as QuickBook etc etc. that this won't be
sufficient. It just a sad reality that SMB fracking blows and that the
only guys that appeared to be providing any open WAN optimization for
SMB got bought by private enterprise.

I've even had thoughts in the past of doing something funky like
mounting the SMB shares to a linux CIFS filesystem and then sharing that
in turn out with a more robust filesystem. But AFS and the like don't
appear to handle the locking properly. Any suggestion along this front
would be of interest.