Re: [Openvpn-users] vpn ip adresses that are public

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] vpn ip adresses that are public
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:13:45 +0000

Hi Martin

Martin Bretschneider wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to set up a OpenVPN server (using linux) that allows
> "roadwarriors" (mostly using MS Windows) to connect to a LAN with an ip
> range that is public, say
> I have some general question:
> 1. It is possible to use IP-adresses of the public ip pool for the vpn
> users, let's say In the documentation I
> always see non public ip adresses like 10.* and so on?

If you _own_ that range, no problem, just make sure it is not used
outside OpenVPN.

> 2. It is possible to redistribute the whole set of DHCP-information
> (ip-address, subnetmask, DNS-server, gateway) out of the LAN to the
> roadwarrier? Reading the howto it seems that only DNS- and WINS-server
> is possible?

For the VPN tunnel the relevant information is distributed, all other
routing information should be distributed with push route.

> 3. Let's say a road warrier has got an internet connection like cable
> modem or DSL and he gets from his provider or the provider's router an
> ip address. He then uses OpenVPN to connect the the OpenVPN-Server an
> gets an ip address like Only the traffic to the LAN
> ( should go through the vpn. Is this routing possible on
> the windows client?

I could not get this working mostly because I could
> not set the gateway for the vpn connection.

Look at your routing table. You need a route to the network.

Openvpn-users mailing list