Re: [Openvpn-users] Single server, multiple tun interfaces?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Single server, multiple tun interfaces?
  • From: "Dr. Torge Szczepanek" <openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:21:22 +0200

Hello!

> Is it possible to have multiple clients on a single server-side UDP
> port, but with one tun interface per client?

AFAIK this is currently not possible. I also have a requirement that
need a real PtP Setup with a single tun device for a connected client.
But currently OpenVPN doesn't support this.

This is a major drawback if you want to use dynamic routing protocols
like ospf, policy based routing or traffic shaping. Since OpenVPN is
doing routing within the OpenVPN process and not using the OS resources
this simply does not work as expected. I guess this was implemented this
way to guarantee the portability between OS versions.

So I am currently stick to PPTP VPNs, since there I have a real PtP
Setup with a single ppp interface per connected client and a single ppp
interface for every user. I think this is what you are thinking of:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:192.168.1.31  P-t-P:212.201.XXX.XXX
Mask:255.255.255.255
ppp1      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:192.168.1.31  P-t-P:212.201.XXX.XXX
Mask:255.255.255.255

Greetings Torge
--
Dr. Torge Szczepanek <openvpn-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>