[Openvpn-users] Question about roaming client

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Question about roaming client
  • From: "Sage Statham" <it@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 23:41:23 -0700 (PDT)

I have a client that is roaming so they are connecting from various
different subnets depending on where they are getting their connection.

Setup:

Server Lan Network:
81.173.31.0/24

Server NAT Network:
10.8.0.0/16

Client Network
Varies, sometimes 192.168.1.0/24 sometimes 10.0.2.0/24

When the client connects they can get their email and browse web traffic.
However when they open their AIM client they can connect but cannot send
messages. In the VPN server log I am seeing the error message:
MULTI: bad source address from client [10.0.2.2], packet dropped

It appears that this only happens for chat data. http, ftp, email seem fine.

When I do a tcpdump from the client machine the source IP for the chat
packet is on the 10.0.2.2 and all other traffic shows up on the correct
10.8.0.6 IP.

Since I don't know what the client network is going to be I can't route
the traffic back to them.

I am using the server config:
push "redirect-gateway def1"

I can see the routes are being added:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
0/1                10.8.0.5           UGSc        5       13   tun0
128.0/1            10.8.0.5           UGSc        1        3   tun0

When I run a tcpdump I see the wrong source address:
10.8.0.6.64203 > a.ad.5446.static.theplanet.com.http
10.0.2.2.64199 > 205.188.9.42.aol

How can I get around this?

-Sage

[ Sage's Computer ]
projects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.sagescomputer.com
(707) 964-9955

"Today's robots are very primitive, capable of understanding only a few
simple instructions such as 'go left', 'go right', and 'build car'."

--John Sladek