[Openvpn-users] Bridging trouble (second try)

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Bridging trouble (second try)
  • From: Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:35:00 -0500

Hi, all.

My first post a few days ago didn't draw any replies, so I'll try again
with less verbage:

I want to create a VPN which bridges two private ethernet segments.
I've followed the bridging howto, to the point where arp requests can
pass between the peers, but replies don't appear to be coming back.
(Behavior is actually somewhat asymmetrical between the "server" and the
"client", but the upshot is that neither can ping the other's protected
interface.)  Needless to say, hosts behind the peers can't get replies
either.

Is there something I have to do beyond what's in the howto in order to
make bridging actually work?  I don't think I should need ethernet NAT
or any extra routing, if the bridge is working, but maybe there's
something I'm missing.

Both the peers are Gentoo Linux machines.

Thanks for any suggestions.