[Openvpn-users] LDAP Authentication for Windows

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] LDAP Authentication for Windows
  • From: "Sherk Chung" <sherk.chung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:05:11 -0700

We are using OpenVPN (on Win32) and wanted to add user authentication against a Microsoft Active Directory server. After a lot of searching there didn't seem to be anything "out of the box" that allows this for the Windows version, so I wrote a PHP script to integrate the two together.  I figured this would be a common need for people who are deploying the OpenVpn server on Windows, so I’m passing it along.  The script has some instructions inside, but for more instructions see the OpenVpn manual page and search for "auth-user-pass-verify".
The script which performs the authentication against ActiveDirectory is attached, which you can customize to your own liking.  We're using Windows Server 2003 as the domain controller, and OpenVPN GUI for the clients. It’s not as elegant as a plug-in, but it does the trick.