Re: [Openvpn-users] Possible to put Clients on a Class B - i.e. allow more than 254 client connects.

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Possible to put Clients on a Class B - i.e. allow more than 254 client connects.
  • From: Luke Kearney <lkearney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:55:42 +0900

Colin Ryan wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm sure this is answered somewhere but archive searches never seemed to
> quite address my question.
>
> I'm wondering if and how it is possible to serve client connecting in
> tun mode with addresses off of a Class B private network. I realize that
> 2.0.x with Windows clients defaulted to win30 mode resulting in the
> .252  subnets.
>
> I would like to have a configuration where I'm not limited to a single
> class C.
>
> Thus far I've tried both 2.0.x Debian Sarge (2.0.9?) and 2.1rc_4, also
> have tried the topology subnet directives in 2.1 with a 2.1rc_4 client.
> However if I put "server 10.21.1.0 255.255.255.0" in the server config
> file it will not even start.
>
> I have the following configuration criteria:
>
> * Linux Server
> * Tun Mode
> * Mostly Windows Clients
> * 2.1_rc4 on both ends.
>
> If it's not that simply any guidance about how to do a "large"
> deployment would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers folks.

Hi Collin,

We are not quite up to 2.1 release but have been using 2.09 for sometime
now and sucessfully aggregating several /24's into what is currently /20
though the server directive looks something like this

dh /etc/openvpn/keys/dh1024.pem
server 10.4.0.0 255.255.0.0
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt

HTH