[Openvpn-users] http proxy connect fails

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] http proxy connect fails
  • From: "Stephen Sinclair" <radarsat1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:41:04 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to set up OpenVPN to help me get past my company's horrible
proxy server.  Very innocent actually, I just want to be able to check
my mail via IMAP and use ssh every now and then, but both these
services are disabled!  (ugh.. I know, I know.. very 10-years-ago
attitudes around here.)

Anyways, I managed to set up OpenVPN at home and it works nicely.  I
was able to log into a vpn served by a desktop machine and I used
traceroute on my laptop to see that all traffic was passing through it
-- brilliant!

However, today I had the big test of seeing whether I'd be able to get
through the company proxy server.  Unfortunately it failed!  I added
the "http-proxy" line to the config file, but when I run openvpn, I
get the following output.  (The proxy server is 172.27.35.104, I have
the vpn set up at home on port 80.  I'm masking my actual IP address
here with X's.)

Tue Sep 25 10:27:28 2007 TCP connection established with 172.27.35.104:80
Tue Sep 25 10:27:28 2007 Send to HTTP proxy: 'CONNECT
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:80 HTTP/1.1'
Tue Sep 25 10:27:29 2007 send_line: TCP port write failed on send():
Software caused connection abort (WSAECONNABORTED) (errno=10053)
Tue Sep 25 10:27:29 2007 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
Tue Sep 25 10:27:29 2007 SIGTERM[soft,init_instance] received, process exiting

So it seems that the proxy is rejecting the CONNECT command.  Out of
curiosity I tried connecting to it through telnet and as soon as I
type "C" it disconnects.  I think they are using a proxy software
called WinProxy.  Anyways, is CONNECT the only way to use the
http-proxy option in OpenVPN?

I was wondering if there is a similar method based on the http GET
command instead, I think it might have a better chance at getting
through this horrible mess...

Any ideas?