[Openvpn-users] OpenVPN server looses its route to the client

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN server looses its route to the client
  • From: Ben <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:06:19 -0400

Hi, I've been using OpenVPN for a few years now and haven't had any
problems with it except recently I've setup a Linux client to our server
which is also running linux. The problem is, the server will sometimes
loose its route to the client. The client can still get to the server
via the private IP of the VPN server, but the VPN server has lost its
routes to the client network. I've confirmed that Internet access at the
client end and server end are both fine at the time this happens. This
behavior happens randomly. Sometimes it can go hours without it not
working, sometimes days. But when it does happen, it's a real mystery.
No errors in the logs regarding this.

Just some information about our setup. We run everything in bridged
mode, however the client network is a different subnet than the server
end. It's setup like this so we don't use another short subnet that is
only used between server <-> client.  Also, when the client connects,
the server runs a script that basically just adds the client's route to
the routing table so it knows how to get to the network (seeing this
can't be done in bridged mode in the normal config file).

So, any ideas why it would all of a sudden loose its routes? Would an IP
conflict on the server network that has the same IP as one of the
interfaces on the VPN server cause this? I'm kind of at a loss here.
It's happening on two of our client setups now. I'm fairly sure this
isn't an IP conflict thing as it happens at times when there is no
activity in the server subnet.

Thanks for any help.

Openvpn-users mailing list