Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and NTOP monitoring

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] OpenVPN and NTOP monitoring
  • From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <leolistas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:15:07 -0300

James Tan escreveu:
Hi Everyone,

am interested in the 'OpenVPN gateway' being able to monitor traffic of the individual tunnels created. The one I am having is only able to capture the overall interface of the gateway but not the individual tunneled clients.

If you're using OpenVPN in TLS mode, generating client certificates and stuff, so there's no individual tunnels !!! Please note ntop sees network interfaces, not individual connections on interfaces.

Altough we know there's some 'individual tunneled clients' coming on tun0/tap0, ntop and probably all other network monitoring softwares will see only the overal traffic.

I dont use ntop for a long time, i cant confirm it capable of this .... but if your monitoring software allows you to have some filters applied on interfaces, you can create a filter to monitor a single IP of a tunneled client and, thus, have ntop monitoring that single client instance.

Anyway, i dont think you'll be able to have 'automatically' individual tunnels monitored with details, just like ntop does, in a easy way.

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues
	Solutti Tecnologia

	My SPAMTRAP, do not email it