[Openvpn-users] How to trace network problems?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] How to trace network problems?
  • From: "Dennis Muhlestein" <djmuhlestein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:07:22 -0600

I've had an openvpn server in a remote location that has worked for 6
months or so.  The vpn server is a virtual server (Xen) and gives
access to the other machines in the network.  It uses tap interface
and server bridging.

This afternoon, I changed another server (unrelated) and reconfigured
the network on a couple other servers.  At that point, I began to have
problems with the openvpn connection and couldn't connect to all the
servers.  After restarting the OpenVpn server, clients on my local
network cannot access any servers on the remote network.

As near as I can tell, the remote network is functioning as intended.
I have a separate vpn client that I can run with our FireWall and I'm
able to use all the services on the remote network as expected.

The OpenVPN clients can connect, and are given an ip address.
Everything seems like it always has except when attempting to
establish any connection, I get: "No route to host" or "Destination
network unreachable."

I have no idea where to begin checking what the problem is.  The VPN
machine didn't change, my client didn't change.  I've checked and
rechecked the server network settings on the other server I brought up
but I don't know how that could cause the vpn to stop working.  My
client has the correct route entry for the remote network still.

Does anyone have any idea on where I could begin to look to figure out
why this is happening?