Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 30

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Openvpn-users Digest, Vol 16, Issue 30
  • From: Stefan Lamby <slamby@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:10:11 +0200

iptables means firewall - that is the way firewalls are handled at linux
- ubuntu is a linux distribution. Ubuntu has a firewall installed by
default and if you are using a desktop version (i assume you are), it is
set very restrictly and could cause the problems.

If you have disabled or opened your firewall at the windows machine you
are delivering another reason why we should try this first.

If you dont know how to disable your firewall, check ubuntus docs.

Do not forget to set ip-forwarding to enable, once you shut down the
firewall, since it wont work.

To enable ip-forwarding just type: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

mfresh schrieb:
> I don't think there is a firewall running on the Ubuntu machine.
> Certainly I have never installed one and I do;t think it comes with
> one. I may be wrong
> What do we need to do to focus on iptables? I don't know what this
> means I'm afraid!
> At 19:47 13/09/2007, openvpn-users-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> I would still recommend to disable the firewall on the ubuntu machine
>> first,
>> enable ip-forward again and test with this machine if you are able to
>> connect and i.e. browse.
>> If that doesnt work we could have a look at other things.
>> What drives me is the fact that you are able to connect with the win
>> client and imo we should focus at iptables first. And it is a fast way
>> to eliminate one issue.

Openvpn-users mailing list