Re: [Openvpn-users] Access to client-side subnet via routed VPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Access to client-side subnet via routed VPN
  • From: Luke Kearney <lkearney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:48:49 +0900

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Erich Titl wrote:
>> Daniel
>> Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>>> It seems I've gotten my server-side network down - now I need some help
>>> getting the client-side working.
>>> I have a routed VPN, and I'm trying to access the client's LAN from the
>>> server.  The VPN client is NOT a router or gateway for the LAN - just a
>>> Windows XP workstation.
>>> The remote network is, the remote IP is
>>> I have created a client-config-dir entry for the remote client, and added:
>>> iroute
>>> In the server config, I have:
>>> route
>>> I can ping the VPN client LAN IP ( - but not the rest of the
>>> remote network.  What step did I miss?
>> If the remote IP is the OpenVPN Tunnel endpoint, then you have an
>> address conflict, else give us more details, ascii art helps.
> The VPN uses the network.  The VPN server, on tun0, is
>  The VPN client is
> The VPN server exists on its LAN as
> The remote client has a remote LAN address of  I'm trying to
> reach through the VPN.
>> Use tcpdump to follow the packet trail.
> I have tcpdump - but I don't know how to use it.  Do I run it on the
> server ('cuz if I need to run on the client - I need something Windoze
> compatible).
> Daniel
Ok, you need to tell the VPN server that the subnet exists
at this point in time you appear to have a Client Server VPN tunnel
established but no site to site. Assuming your remote network is add something like this to your server configuration

And restart - Failing any firewalling done on your remote client at you should now be able to ping hosts on that subnet via the
VPN tunnel.

Openvpn-users mailing list