[Openvpn-users] No traffic between openvpn server(linux) and XP client.

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] No traffic between openvpn server(linux) and XP client.
  • From: Nikolaj <lorddoskias@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 13:41:32 +0300

Hello,

With a friend we decided to try openvpn just for the fun. After a
certain amount of time spent in struggling with it we managed to set it
up using pam-module for authentication with no certificates. We are
terminating the tunnel successfully. But the problem is that we cannot
ping each other nor can we reach each other's ends. Here is the config
file ot the client(windows xp sp2 machine, using openvpn 2.0.9):

client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote  62.176.127.21 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca cacert.crt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth-user-pass
auth-nocache
ifconfig 10.1.1.2 10.1.1.1

As you can see we use addresses from the 10.1.1.0/24 private subnet.

Here is the config of the server(gentoo machine, running openvpn 2.0.6):
mode server
tls-server
local x.x.x.x
port 1194
proto tcp-server
dev tun0
dh /etc/openvpn/dh.pem
ca /etc/ssl/private/ssl.ca
cert /etc/ssl/private/ssl.crt
key /etc/ssl/private/ssl.key
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
max-clients 4
user nobody
group nobody
persist-key
persist-tun
status /var/log/openvpn-status
client-config-dir /etc/openvpn/c/
plugin /usr/lib/openvpn/openvpn-auth-pam.so system-auth
client-cert-not-required
username-as-common-name
verb 3

The server is using external script to set up the tun0 tunnel, somewhere
in the documentation it was written that this is better.

The openvpn server machine has http server running and I cannot access
it either. Actually there is not traffic across the tunnel. We have the
appropriate routing entries in one another's routing tables. We even
tried using the client-config-dir with route/iroute setting but had no
luck with it.

I'll be glad to hear your suggestions and probable solutions to the
problem.

Regards