Re: [Openvpn-users] Settings for TCP tunnel over a lossy link?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Settings for TCP tunnel over a lossy link?
  • From: Timothy Baldwin <T.E.Baldwin99@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 21:30:38 +0100

In message <53328c030708291545j1c6a1ddbs21026cb2d90e9823@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Merit Wilkinson <meritw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I am running an OpenVPN tunnel from the US to Asia (with a dsl modem
> on the far end, to boot).  I get relatively reasonable latencies
> (300-600 ms) but pretty high packet loss (as much as 20%).  Due to a
> corporate firewall that I have no control over I have to use a TCP
> tunnel.  The server is a Windows 2003 machine, clients are XP.

Use Stunnel or ssh port-forwarding instead of OpenVPN, unfortunately this is
not transparent. More recent versions of OpenSSH provide VPN support as
well.

Setting tcp-queue-limit to a small number may help.
A bandwidth limiting packet filter on the tap device might help.

An ideal solution would a fake tcp protocol as suggested in:
http://openvpn.net/archive/openvpn-devel/2003-04/msg00014.html

--
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B  94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4