Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridging Setup on Linux w/ Windows Clients

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Bridging Setup on Linux w/ Windows Clients
  • From: "Daniel L. Miller" <dmiller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 14:48:28 -0700

Pasada Khumprakob wrote:

> Well, lets see.... Here's the setup (Note the IPs are changed for
> security). These 201 range IP's are accual real routable internet IP
> addresses, not a LAN subnet. The server is connected to the LAN with
> IP assigned to it 201.0.0.195, and that is accessible from the
> internet, and that is the machines normal address as well. The gateway
> is 201.0.0.193. The firewall on the LAN is allowing in/out access to
> this server, so when the client connects it will connect to
> 201.0.0.195 on port 9999.
>
> I have 201.0.0.240 - 245 allocated for everything VPN. The client IP
> will be 201.0.0.241, the TAP0 on the server will be 201.0.0.240. If
> the clients are connecting to TAP0, should I bridge TAP0 with the ETH0
> OpenVPN connection IP?
We're not communicating.  Let's try again - BRIDGING USES INTERNAL
IP's.  You're basically saying you want to join your client to your
server's Internet connection.

I suppose you can always TRY bridging with that 201.0.0.195 - but since
you're bridging with a public IP address I think you're asking for trouble.

Maybe someone else here can help you - but I'm at a loss how to handle
this situation.  Maybe something creative with subnets and routing.