Re: [Openvpn-users] NEWBIE simple VPN setup connects, and pings, but can not see or share files

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] NEWBIE simple VPN setup connects, and pings, but can not see or share files
  • From: "Emre Erenoglu" <erenoglu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:39:05 +0200

Can you access the server when you do:
start --> run and type in:  \\
I think the issue is that your machine caches or knows the IP of the server with its local IP address (i.e. 192.168.x.x.) and can't find it when trying remotely with the address.
You can also try adding a route to your laptop to forward packets to your LAN over openvpn, but this shall be done in the openvpn configurations in order not to effect operation when wired to the LAN. You may need to "enable" routing in your Windows PC (i don't remember how to do it, in order to let it forward packets coming from interface to the lan interface.)
WRT54G can be setup with openwrt. Then you can setup openvpn on top, use bridging to get a local LAN IP to your remote laptop. This is much easier if being able to access other computers on the LAN is not a security concern.