Re: [Openvpn-users] Newbie question on Routing

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Newbie question on Routing
  • From: Markus Feilner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:41:13 +0200

Am Montag 27 August 2007 13:32:05 schrieb Srini:
> Hi David
> Route print output on client machine (directly connected to internet)
> > PS:  I dont want to go the road of bridging just for this sake
Thank you, great detail, really!
I guess... :

Can you check the output of:
"cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" ?
If this is set to "0", the server does not forward the packages.
If you set it to "1" temporarily with:
"echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward"
your server will forward the packages.
(I just checked, this is the path on suse and ubuntu.)

But if your server is in the internet, you will need a firewall config on it,
for security reasons!
If you're not firm with firewalls, I suggest you have a look at shorewall or -
on suse: SuSEfirewall (there is a yast module)
Let me know if that worked...

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner
OpenVPN mailing lists