Re: [Openvpn-users] speed - OPENVPN STATS

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] speed - OPENVPN STATS
  • From: Markus Feilner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:58:45 +0200

Am Sonntag 26 August 2007 02:10:43 schrieb Timothy Madden:
> Mira Suk wrote:
> >> Have you been careful enough when you took the transfer times ? To have
> >> no other
> >> downloads in the background, like maybe Windows update ? Or maybe your
> >> ISP allows high transfer rates to you for some time, after which it will
> >> impose your
> >> traffic limit. Or maybe somewhere in between your endpoints the bandwith
> >> may vary.
> >>
> >> To check if you get overhead measure bandwidth at the interface level.

Maybe this is helpful for pinning down traffic questions...
If you are on linux: Add a line "status <logfile-name> " to your openvpn
config .Example:
status /var/log/openvpn_status.log

Restart your tunnel software (the init.d-skript) and have a look in the
logfile. Openvpn frequently updates the values here, and you can easily
control the traffic on the tunnel. I once had a cacti script that would read
this file and display the user's or tunnel's traffic statistics in  the

Here is an example output in this file, (on a client!)

:/var/log# cat openvpn_status.log
Updated,Sun Aug 26 16:44:34 2007
TUN/TAP read bytes,29168
TUN/TAP write bytes,79276
TCP/UDP read bytes,112784
TCP/UDP write bytes,56758
Auth read bytes,79604
pre-compress bytes,5996
post-compress bytes,6232
pre-decompress bytes,0
post-decompress bytes,0

As you can see, you may also control the effects of compression here.

Here is an example output on a server:

# cat /var/log/openvpn/openvpn-status-test.log
Updated,Sun Aug 26 16:55:05 2007
Common Name,Real Address,Bytes Received,Bytes Sent,Connected Since
hostname0,,8994328,15756022,Sat Aug 25 15:14:43 2007
hostname1,,770283,1704572,Sun Aug 26 16:47:52 2007
Virtual Address,Common Name,Real Address,Last Ref,hostname0,,Sun Aug 26 16:55:04 2007,hostname1,,Sun Aug 26 16:55:04 2007
Max bcast/mcast queue length,0

Best Regards - Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Markus Feilner
OpenVPN mailing lists