Re: [Openvpn-users] speed

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] speed
  • From: Timothy Madden <terminatorul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:06:55 +0300

I don't think encapsulation and encryption make as much overhead as 20
extra minutes
out of 30.

Have you been careful enough when you took the transfer times ? To have
no other
downloads in the background, like maybe Windows update ? Or maybe your
ISP allows high transfer rates to you for some time, after which it will
impose your
traffic limit. Or maybe somewhere in between your endpoints the bandwith
may vary.

To check if you get overhead measure bandwidth at the interface level.
In Windows
look at Connection properties to see the number of bytes or packets
transferred.

You will most likely see that the physical speed is also low when using
VPN,
which would mean encryption takes too much time or you have a slow or busy
computer. Or maybe the other end is slow or busy.