Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn + wins

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] openvpn + wins
  • From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:41:42 -0700

Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:

> i can ping inside the networks ex. 172.16.2.1 or 172.16.2.1 and browse
> computer shares if i use the path.
> but in Network Neighborhood. i can see the computers. i have configured in
> tcp/ip on windows xp the wins server to 172.16.2.254 but don´t work for me.

I had the same problem, and posted the solution recently on this list.

With the default settings, OpenVPN uses the "topology net30" mode, and
Samba will not bind properly to the tun0 interface. Therefore you cannot
tell clients to use the IP address of the tun0 interface on the VPN
server as a WINS server.
For some reason, when I told the VPN clients to use one of the local
interfaces of the VPN server as a WINS server, that didn't work either,
even though I have the local machines using that IP address as a WINS
server just fine. I don't know what's the reason for that.

The solution was to use OpenVPN 2.1 rc4, set "topology subnet" on the
server, and then Samba binds properly to tun0 and the VPN clients can
use that address as a WINS server just fine.
Now I like "topology subnet" better than the default mode. There were
some minor changes in the way I had to setup some static routes, but
that's normally not used in simple and standard setups.

--
Florin Andrei