[Openvpn-users] Directory permissions issue with remote access

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Directory permissions issue with remote access
  • From: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:18:34 -0700

Greetings -

I don't think this is directly an OpenVPN configuration problem, but it only
occurs when accessing our server remotely through OpenVPN.  I suspect it is
a directory permissions problem, but can not seem to identify the source of
the problem.  I would appreciate if someone would point me to some
diagnostic tests that might help me pinpoint the problem.

The Problem:
Using the example directory structure listed below, I have a remote worker
that is *not within* the Group Q and correctly *can not* access Subdirectory
A2.  This same person is *within* Group Z, but is *unable* to access
Subdirectory A3a.  All other directories that are open to all employees are
accessible to this person remotely.  This person *is* able to access
Subdirectory A3a when on the local LAN within the office.

Directory Structure
-------------------------------
Samba Share X
Directory A - All employee access  (permissions 777)
     Subdirectory A1 - All employee access (permissions 777)
     Subdirectory A2 - Restricted access to Group Q (permissions 770)
     Subdirectory A3 - All employee access (permissions 777)
          Subdirectory A3a - Restricted access to Group Z (permissions 770)

The setup:
RHEL 3 configured as a Samba file server for a small office
WinXP clients at staff houses
OpenVPN 2.0.9 on both server and clients, routed network (not bridged)

I can post my server and client OpenVPN config files if needed, or even my
Samba config file if that would help.

Jeff Boyce
www.meridianenv.com