Re: [Openvpn-users] Vista, Samba, WINS server - browse lists not working in same workgroup across VPN

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Vista, Samba, WINS server - browse lists not working in same workgroup across VPN
  • From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:51:46 -0700

Florin Andrei wrote:

> The problem is, when I open the Network window on Vista ("network
> neighborhood" used to be called on older Windows versions), I do not see
> the CentOS server and the Ubuntu workstation, even though they are part
> of the same Windows workgroup and WINS seems to work properly. All I see
> is the Vista system itself, but nothing else is listed automatically.

I know what the problem is.

By default, OpenVPN does "topology net30" (if you don't specify
"topology" in the config file on the server, it uses net30 - see "man
openvpn"), which creates a /30 network for each client. In that case,
the tun0 interface is created in such a way that Samba does not like it.
You can point Windows clients to it to use it as a WINS server, but it
just won't work.

With OpenVPN 2.1 RC4, there's the "topology subnet" option, which dumps
all clients in the same /24 subnet (or whichever subnet size you
choose). In that case, tun0 is created in such a way that Samba can use
it just fine.

Now network neighborhood works just fine, I can see all the systems,
browse shares, etc. I do have problems with pushing routes in the
topology subnet mode, but that can be solved in other ways too.

Another idea that I'm going to try tonight is to keep using topology
net30 (the default), but specify the internal Ethernet interface on the
server as the WINS server. That should work fine, I think.

Bottom line: don't specify tun0 as the WINS server with the default
topology (each client in its own /30 network), Samba doesn't like it.

--
Florin Andrei