Re: [Openvpn-users] class b (rfc 1918) internal subnet designs (routing) suggestions

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] class b (rfc 1918) internal subnet designs (routing) suggestions
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:08:50 +0000

Hi

SheridanJ West wrote:
> We have a test openvpn system working ok but we have internal routing
> difficulties inside for things like printing etc and internal routing
> of smb etc the inside lan design is rather old.

Are you sure it is a LAN design problem?

> So can anybody please point me towards a revised rfc1918 172.16.0.0
> range of subnets (or tools) that route well with an new lan design and
> support a vpn subnet that fits 'best practice' as ours plainy does not
> do that

AFAIK RFC1918 is still valid and it will not explain how to set up your
subnet scheme.

> Its a linux setup and the the b range addresses in use it seems need a redesign
>
> Please excuse the question as the documents seem only to do the 10.
> range  which is over large for our 'simple needs'
>
> currently we use 172.16.0.[1-255] range
> the test vpn subnet  is on 172.17.0. bit

Depending on your set up, you can always subnet the 172.16.0.0/12
network according to your needs.

In our environment we currently use 172.29.n.0/24 subnets, for the
moment 256 class C subnets are sufficient for us.

cheers

Erich