[Openvpn-users] Vista, Samba, WINS server - browse lists not working in same workgroup across VPN

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] Vista, Samba, WINS server - browse lists not working in same workgroup across VPN
  • From: Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:35:20 -0700

Using OpenVPN-2.1 on a CentOS 5 server. One client is Windows Vista.
There's also a local network behind the CentOS server, with a variety of
systems, including an Ubuntu 7.04 workstation.

The OpenVPN clients are using a 192.168.x private range different from
the one used on the local network (routed, not bridged VPN). However,
all systems are part of the same workgroup, with the CentOS server
acting as a WINS server for everything. CentOS is also a nameserver for
all these networks.

Direct and reverse DNS works properly on all networks, including VPN.
The local network and the VPN addresses are on different DNS domains.

When I boot Vista, it connects to OpenVPN automatically (run as service).

The problem is, when I open the Network window on Vista ("network
neighborhood" used to be called on older Windows versions), I do not see
the CentOS server and the Ubuntu workstation, even though they are part
of the same Windows workgroup and WINS seems to work properly. All I see
is the Vista system itself, but nothing else is listed automatically.

If I enter \\the-Ubuntu-workstations-name directly in Explorer on Vista,
it does see the workstation and all its shares, I can upload/download
files just fine. But it does not appear automatically in the "network
neighborhood" list (or whatever is the proper name on Vista) no matter what.

I tried a variety of things, I tweaked smb.conf on the server and on the
workstation, I played with Windows-specific options in the .ovpn file on
Vista, etc. The list of things I tried is too long to put it here.
Nothing seems to help.

I'm kind of stumped. Is there a "secret recipe" to make this work? Some
kind of algorithm or checklist to go through?
I'm not even sure it's an OpenVPN issue. It might be it, or it might be
Samba, or DNS, or Vista, or something else. I'm just kind of shooting in
the dark.

--
Florin Andrei