Re: [Openvpn-users] failover with RIP

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] failover with RIP
  • From: Erich Titl <erich.titl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:47:33 +0000

as nobody seemed to reply I am trying my luck

Michael Jürgens wrote:
> Hi,
> I´ve searched the archive about failover but cannot find a proper
> solution for my problem.
> I try to set up a failover configuration for many clients with networks
> behind them.
> VPN1 and VPN2 have the same configuration and are setup with DNS Round
> Robin.
> --+---[Net1]   --+----[Net2]
>   |              |
>  [C1]           [C2]
>   |              |
>   |              |
> [VPN1]         [VPN2]
>   |              |
> --+------+-------+----[Net3] (RIP)
>        [Host1]
> The idea:
> C1 connects to VPN1
> VPN1 publishes Net1 to the Kernel (Of Router1)

Where is Router1?

> The kernel propagates this route vis RIP to net3
> Host1 also runs RIP recognize the route to net1

So the route to net1 goes to VPN1?

> If C1 connects to VPN2, the same procedure happens and host1 knows the
> route.

Mhhh... the route then changes to VPN2 and gets propagated.

> My first idea was to build this by adding a "route" statement to CCD
> file of C1.

Is this really necessary? What exactly do you want to achieve. You want
to have routing from host1 to net1 whatever VPN is active at the moment.
IMHO all you really have to propagate to host1 or to an intermediate
router is that the route to Net1 has changed. Then packets destined to
net1 will be routed accordingly.

Hope I interpreted your set up correctly

Openvpn-users mailing list