Re: [Openvpn-users] FTP session - sniffing clear text password?

  • Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] FTP session - sniffing clear text password?
  • From: <nobledark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:34:06 -0400

Hi Timm,

Thanks for the explanation - thing is, I can't see any traffic from
the VPN on my external interface when sniffing on the vpn-equipped
Windows XP client (this is what threw me off). Plugging the hub in
and sniffing in promiscuous mode from another laptop enabled me to
see that the traffic was indeed encrypted.

I found an old archive from the list, dated 2004, that basically
explained the same thing - good to be wrong sometimes :)

Thanks again..

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:37:24 -0400 Timm Wimmers <timm@xxxxxxxxx>
>nobledark@xxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:
>> OK, well, after several hours of worrying and poring through old
>> archive threads, I finally found an old hub and hooked it into
>> network then ran Ethereal on a separate laptop - the data is
>> encrypted. Apparently when sniffing on the local client, I am
>> seeing the data before it's encrypted and I can't see the data
>> after it's been ciphered (at least I do not know how on XP -
>> couldn't see anything over "eth0").
>> Sorry for the false alarm...
>The tap or tun device is a virtual interface (that means it is
>not hardware) that takes the unencrypted data from your clients
>jabber, smb, etc.), this is the data you can catch with ethereal
>these devices and - who guess - it's unencrypted.
>After then, the tap or tun device takes the data and encrypt it
>OpenSSL and sends the encrypted data over your real interface to
>other side of your tunnel. So if you want that ethereal see
>data, you must tell etheral to catch data from your real
>interface, not
>from the tap or tun device.

Click here if you're tired of your job and want to increase your salary.

Openvpn-users mailing list