[Openvpn-users] openvpn tap network limits

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] openvpn tap network limits
  • From: "Williams, Jason" <JWilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:43:36 -0400

Does anyone know if OpenVPN has a limit to the number of tunnels that
can be connected at one time? The book "OpenVPN: Building and
Integrating Virtual Private Networks" mentions in passing that there is
a 128 tunnel limit but doesn't elaborate. Has anyone experienced a hard
limit? Our network could potentially exceed this number.

Also, what about practical limits? We're building a network using dev
tap and TLS. Hardware is a dual Xeon with 4 GB of RAM and two gigabit
NICs. I would expect that we're going to overload our server before we
hit the 128 mark even with typical road warrior usage.
OpenVPN mailing lists