[Openvpn-users] is it possible to show the VPN server IP?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] is it possible to show the VPN server IP?
  • From: Peter Barwich <pbarwich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:16:30 +0100

Essentially you want your Linux machine to act as a proxy web server for your laptop by the sound of it.

There are several ways to approach this but the simplest, if you've already cracked making OpenVPN work, is to put the "redirect-gateway def1" directive in your client config file. This assumes you have the Linux machine configured as the server and your XP laptop configured as a client. That should have the effect of diverting all your web traffic from your laptop via your linux box and a 'what is my IP' type website should show the IP of your linux box.

You could also install 3Proxy on your linux box and socksify the web-aware applications you wish to use on your laptop using proxycap configured to send stuff to the OVPN server. (without proxycap you'd have to configure your web browser to use a proxy) Or you could setup Apache as a web proxy on your linux box. Or you could use an ssh tunnel with open ssh on your linux box and putty on your laptop set up to dynamically port forward (and also proxycap to direct web-aware applications to your ssh tunnel). Be aware that if, for some reason, you want to connect to the internet from your client via ANOTHER client then "redirect-gateway def1" won't do it for you. It only forwards connections to the server OVPN machine. To get to another client machine you need some sort of proxy server software on the remote client.

[Openvpn-users] is it possible to show the VPN server IP?
Nathalie Vaiser <nat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:05:56 -0400

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a VPN for the first time, I haven't used VPNs before at
all.  I installed OpenVPN on my linux machine, and on my laptop I
installed the WindowsXP client for OpenVPN.

After a bit of troubleshooting I got it working (I think) -  it
connects, give me a "Local Area Connection 4" with an IP address in the
10.x.x.x range.

So it looks like I got it working (yaay!)

But, what I'm actually trying to do is set it up is so that when I VPN
from my laptop,  it will show as if I am connecting from the IP of my
linux server where OpenVPN is installed.  In other words, if I go to
www.whatismyip.com,  I want it to show my linux server's IP.

Currently, it is showing my local ISP's IP address (same one that shows
when I'm not on the VPN connection)

How do I force Firefox or other programs to "use" the 10.x.x.x network?
Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

(p.s. - if VPN is not what I am looking for then please let me know.. I
also tried setting up Squid proxy, but again, my IP address still shows
as my real IP address and not the server IP)

Also - How do I even know for sure it's working? Other then it saying it's
connected and the OpenVPN client icon in the task bar in Windows is
green instead of red,  but how do I know traffic is really traveling
through the VPN and not directly out my ISP?