[Openvpn-users] is it possible to show the VPN server IP?

  • Subject: [Openvpn-users] is it possible to show the VPN server IP?
  • From: Nathalie Vaiser <nat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:05:56 -0400

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a VPN for the first time, I haven't used VPNs before at
all.  I installed OpenVPN on my linux machine, and on my laptop I
installed the WindowsXP client for OpenVPN.

After a bit of troubleshooting I got it working (I think) -  it
connects, give me a "Local Area Connection 4" with an IP address in the
10.x.x.x range.

So it looks like I got it working (yaay!)

But, what I'm actually trying to do is set it up is so that when I VPN
from my laptop,  it will show as if I am connecting from the IP of my
linux server where OpenVPN is installed.  In other words, if I go to
www.whatismyip.com,  I want it to show my linux server's IP.

Currently, it is showing my local ISP's IP address (same one that shows
when I'm not on the VPN connection)

How do I force Firefox or other programs to "use" the 10.x.x.x network?
Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

(p.s. - if VPN is not what I am looking for then please let me know.. I
also tried setting up Squid proxy, but again, my IP address still shows
as my real IP address and not the server IP)

Also - How do I even know for sure it's working? Other then it saying it's
connected and the OpenVPN client icon in the task bar in Windows is
green instead of red,  but how do I know traffic is really traveling
through the VPN and not directly out my ISP?

Openvpn-users mailing list